Marine Environmental Services in the UAE
The UAE marine nature is very diverse with a coastline spans for 1318kms long, bordering both the Arabian Gulf and a shorter stretch on the Gulf of Oman. Due to the importance of the marine life in UAE environment, authorities declared several Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) along the coast particularly in the west of the country which are primarily concerned with protection of marine habitat and rare and endangered species, such as dugong. Industrial, commercial and development projects pose potential threats to the sensitive marine environment and are therefore closely controlled by environmental authorities with environmental regulations enforcing project proponents to ensure that environmental risks are properly assessed, and the appropriate mitigation measures taken for their projects.
Marine Environmental Services cover a broad range of specialized studies including Marine Environmental Baseline Surveys (MEBS), environmental monitoring and sampling, hydrodynamic modelling of discharge plumes, and pollution control. A MEBS typically includes underwater surveys to assess the marine ecology of both the seabed and the water body, water sampling to assess chemical parameters, temperature and turbidity and evaluation of birdlife.
Dome Oilfield Engineering & Services LLC has a one of the largest in-house marine ecology survey teams based in the UAE with extensive experience of conducting MEBS, Marine Environmental Impact Assessments, environmental monitoring and hydrodynamic modelling for the offshore Oil & Gas industry, Power & Water projects, and development projects such as harbours, islands, and infrastructure. Our team is equipped with advanced aquatic survey equipment including dropdown video assembly for river/marine surveys, bioacoustics recorder for birds and bats assessment, river/marine water and sediment sampling equipment and a marine water quality station for conducting real-time water quality collection.
Major Marine Environmental Services projects undertaken by Dome include:
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the largest offshore 3D seismic survey in the world by ADNOC through China National Oil Corporation (BGP-CNPC) Company. This project involved extensive marine ecological surveys covering almost the entire offshore territorial areas of Abu Dhabi.
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) for Mirfa City Master Plan in the western area of Abu Dhabi Emirate. The City of Mirfa is located within the buffer zone of the Marawah Marine Biosphere Reserve which is home to a number of nationally and regionally significant coastal and marine habitat including seagrass beds, coral reefs, macroalgae outcrops and mangrove forests.
- Marine Environmental Baseline Surveys (MEBS) for the drilling operations carried out by ADNOC inside Al Yeast Marine protected area located offshore of the Sila’a area, in the western region of Abu Dhabi Emirate. Al Yasat Protected area is very sensitive in terms of marine ecology as it is known with the presence of Dugong and seagrass within the general area of the project.
- HSEIA and Marine Environmental Baseline Surveys (MEBS) for Phase 2 of Ruwais Refinery for Dredging International/TAKREER.
- Strategic Environmental Assessment for Mina Zayed Phase 1,2 and 3 Master Plans.
- Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP) for DP World – Capital and Maintenance Dredging Project at Jebel Ali, Dubai. Client: National Marine Dredging Company (NMD)
- Environmental Impact Assessment for Fujairah 1, Independent Water and Power Plant Reverse Osmosis Expansion Project. Client: Emirates Sembcorp Water & Power Company.
Share This Blog